30. April 2021
Organizing a Just Transition with Aviation Workers
Freitag, 30. April 2021, 16:00-18:00 Uhr, Online Panel Discussion with English-Spanish Interpretation
Anmeldung zur Veranstaltung (bis Donnerstag)
Für die Anmeldung zur Veranstaltung bitte ausschließlich diesen Link des VCÖ verwenden.
Most flights are grounded due to Covid-19, posing enormous difficulties for workers in the sector. Yet, in order to effectively counter the climate crisis, aviation and mass-tourism need to be limited in the long-term. How could a transition process including job shifts be organised? What are obstacles and lessons learned from coal transitions?
– Magdalena Heuwieser, DE, Stay Grounded & Pablo Muñoz Nieto, ES, Ecologistas en Acción, presenting the “Just Transition of Aviation” discussion paper
– Eoin Coates, IE, Head of Aviation in the European Transport Workers Federation, about the long-term plan of trade unions for jobs in the aviation sector, and how a “just transition” is discussed internally
– Carlos Martínez, ES, member of the Secretary of Environment from CC.OO., on experiences with the coal transition in Spain, and on how the Spanish Union Confederation envisions a just transition for tourism and aviation
– Jonathan Essex, UK, presenting a concrete just transition plan for shifting jobs from Gatwick airport, called “Green New Deal for Gatwick”
– George H., UK, pilot, & Finlay Asher, UK, aviation engineer, from the aviation worker’s initiative “Safe Landing”, sharing their personal stories and presenting their ideas on a just transition.